Cattle Management Software
For Windows XP - 10
Cattle Record Keeping & Age Verification Software
Herd Books - Order
For Windows XP - Windows 10
Free Trail for 90 Days
You may try Herd Books at no obligation for 90 days, either by downloading the free program or emailing me directly for a disk. Herd Books is a one time purchase with no further charges and does not require updates, though from time to time check this site to see if a newer version is available for download.
Please note, that I only offer phone help within Canada and the United States. If you live in elsewhere please use email if you need any help.
For Trial or Updating
Version 22.214.171.124 - April 22/2018
- Click on the button below to download Herd Books.
- In Explorer a 'View Downloads' window will show with Herd Books...zip at the top, click Save. Some browsers may behave differently, Google Chrome may begin the download immediately.
- When the download is complete, click Open folder. (folders will be located in your Downloads folder under your user name.)
- Right click on the folder and select Extract all files.
- Once the extraction is done click on the extracted folder.
- Within the contents of the folder find and click on 'Setup' to install. Windows may show a form indicting that the program may not have installed correctly. Just ignore it, don’t click on it. Clicking ‘cancel’ will stop the installation. The program will install and run.
- Note: IF you have Windows SmartScreen turned on then Windows Defender may halt the installation. Windows 8 & 10 ships with the Windows SmartScreen feature enabled by default. SmartScreen is a background tool that monitors the execution of applications on the system to block the execution of an application until it has been rated by Microsoft. SmartScreen collects information about the software, and submits the information to Microsoft. A rating is built up over time by popularity and any reports of any application being malicious. The server responds with a rating for the application that either triggers Windows SmartScreen if it is not known, or lets you continue with the program installation if the application is considered safe. The SmartScreen message that appears, Windows protected your PC, makes it hard for users to know what to do. The OK button is showen, but OK stops the installation of the program. You will have to click the more info link below to get the option of 'Run Anyway'.
Activate Herd Books
$100 + GST
If you have trialed Herd Books, and would like to purchase the program - please fill out your information in the customer page in the program. When you click ‘Accept’, the program generates specific information that is needed to create a code for you to continue using Herd Books.
When you click the Accept button the program will copy your information so you can paste it either into an email (if paying via cheque) or the shopping cart below (if paying via PayPal). It will also put the info in a box in the lower left corner of the form, if you lose the information & need to recopy just click on that box.
Please don’t click the ‘Clear ” or ‘Accept’ button on that page until you enter the code. Also don’t reinstall or update the program after sending me the information until you put in the code. Any of the above will clear the code from the program and the one I send you won’t work.
Cheque Money Order
You can mail your payment to:
Payment via PayPal may be made via Credit Card (you don't require a PayPal account). Paste the Customer Information code from your Herd Books program into the box below (do not modify it in any way). Then click on the Add to Cart button and you will be directed to checkout.
Test Herd for Herd Books for Trial Users (Recommended)
I hope you will download the Test Herd as well, it’s a herd of cows that you can play with to get to know the program and try things out with. You’ll get a much better idea of what the program can do than if you just put your cows in. It needs to be extracted as well.
When you have the program and the Test Herd working you can go back to your ‘Downloads’ folder, leave the extracted 'Test Herd' folder and delete the rest to clean things up.
- Click on the link below to download the Test Herd.
- When the download is complete, extract the 'Test Herd' folder. Don't use 'Browse', extract it in 'Downloads'.
- After downloading extracting and installing Herdbooks, read the agreement & click Ok to continue.
- The Customer page will show. Click the Try Herd Books button in the top corner.
- You will now be on the main page, INFO will be showing. Please read it. Double click on it to close it.
- You will then see how to use the Test herd, click Tools and click on Use Test Herd for Trial. Pass your cursor over 'Active Cow list' at the top of the page. A list of cows will show, click on one. To view her calves click on the Calves Page tab. Prior years calves info shows in a box on the left as you pass your mouse over the info boxes. Click on the calf line in that box to view that years calf record. Play with the various forms (the main ones are written in Red along the top of the page - others under Tools).
- Each form will have a Help button to tell you how to use the form. Feel free to do as you like while using the Test Herds records.
- Click your windows start button, click All Programs, click Ken Ettinger, right click Herd Books and select Send to desktop (create shortcut).